Monday, June 16, 2014

Vamos Argentina

June 16, 2014

Dear Family and Friends,
Happy Father´s Day dad!!!  Thanks for all the support.  You´re the best dad and I wish I could call you and tell you that, but you´ll see me soon enough so you´ll just have to wait.
Well the biggest news of this week is the World Cup.  Yes, it´s as crazy as everyone predicted.  Last night Argentina won and we heard the streets explode, and we´re not even in Centro.  So that was fun, and I was expecting it.  What I wasn´t expecting is that no one wants to listen to us whenever there´s a game on.  Even if it´s just Japan playing.  Who cares about Japan?  We´re just starting the world cup, these games aren´t even important.  Now when we get into the finals, I´ll give them a break because if I weren´t a missionary, I´d be watching all the games as well.  It´s just reminding me of 4 years ago when I was in Spain during the world cup.  I don´t know if you know this parents, but I went with Alvaro and Miguel to bars to watch the games.  It was fun.  Soccer´s fun.  Ridiculous, but fun.  And I´m a Messi lover.  As much as the world hates him, I love him.
Yesterday Hermana Thornton and I had a reflecting time during comp study.  It just made me look back on my mission experience.  I really don´t know what she´s feeling because I was never thrown into things.  1, I already knew spanish, 2, I started in Utah english speaking and then moved into a spanish area and then got to Argentina so I had lots of time to adjust.  We talked about the difference between stateside missions.  Her sister´s in California in San Jose which is a service mission.  Argentina´s hard.  We have to knock doors at least an hour a day and hear the constant, "soy católica, apostólica, romana" and get rejected because a soccer game´s on, but I can´t think of a better place to serve.  Argentines have so much pride it´s contagious.  I love this country despite all it´s flaws!  I feel like I´m Argentine.  And yes, we have slow weeks (like this last one where all of our citas, every last one of them, fell) but there´s also good weeks.  It´s just part of life.  Everyone has to go through hard times to recognize the good.  I had to live in Argentina to recognize some things I want in my life.  It´s hard to describe but basically, the mission´s incredible.  And even though I haven´t had a whole ton of baptisms, I feel like so far I´ve had a successful mission.  And as long as each one of us feel that way, it means we´re doing our best and the Lord´s happy with our work.  
So those were my thoughts.  Not much to say about our investigators.  We ate at Eva, Leila, and Nadia´s on thursday and we´re talking about the possibility of passing them today with them.   Wish us luck!
Hermana Borup
Pictures: Argentina ganó!
Elder Wagstaff was a little too happy to find snickers at Walmart.  He bought 15 just for himself and jumped to grab more.
Last night to celebrate we at ice cream, and tortas fritas with dulce de leche.  The diet starts today.  Hermana Thornton´s going to make me snack on carrots and do insane workouts every morning.  Good!  




No comments:

Post a Comment